Most people think of goals as a desire to get some type of job done or acquiring certain things. Focusing their thoughts and actions on a point in the future when they can say I did it or I have it. To be goal driven often means looking for the next "I did it" thing. Always going for the gold.
Many people think of dreaming as sitting around with your head in the clouds thinking about how things coulda, shoulda, or woulda been. Living life as it comes and doing... whatever. As the saying goes if I put my dreams in one hand and dirt in the other, which will get full first?
On the other hand their are those that define dreaming as seeing things as better than they are. They see a dream is bigger than a goal. They see a dream as the result of the goals, often the result of the goals of many. But I have to ask is that worse than a goal, or better?
Dreams and goals are intertwined, the goals are the mile post to the dream. I believe that the dream is what makes the work of the goals worthwhile. To get to the dream we must take individual steps, one after the other.
To me a goal is how you get there and a dream is what you do when you get there. A problem is if someone gets this idea mixed up. This often happens in the corporate worlds, sometime even promoted by the management. The sales force creates goals and work heroically to achieve them. But the the joy of the dream is not there’s. That could be why they have ulcers, heart attacks and other problems.
When you have a dream you feel joy in your activities, fulfillment in your endeavors and inspiration from every step along the way. The goals you set are the steps that take you toward that dream. When those goal are sidetracked you can easily continue because the dream is bigger than the goal!
William Faulkner said , “Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.” I think that is a lifetime goal. Create the dream.
No comments:
Post a Comment